Guelph Dance aims to engage, support and connect. We strive to be a nationally-recognized leader in contemporary dance by offering a platform for dance artists to share their vision, push creative boundaries, and engage community audiences.
- To present works that are innovative and that represent the multidiverse dance being produced in Canada.
- To support local and national dance artists at all stages of development.
- To foster community engagement and collaboration in contemporary dance.
- To offer arts experiences that are financially, socially and physically accessible.
GD remains committed to showcasing Canadian contemporary dance, while emphasizing opportunities for people of all ages and stages of development to experience dance in ways that extend beyond being audience members. Over the next 3 year, the artistic and community engagement programming will be informed by these three pillars:
- To increase community engagement in contemporary dance year-round. We wish to provide opportunities where everyone can dance, engage in the creative process and be exposed to artists in the dance field. We are interested in bringing community members and dance artists together in collaborations that enable all parties to build stronger relationships around dance.
- To continue support for regional dance artists, who often feel isolated and alone, by investing funds to strengthen our local initiatives which include: opportunities for artists to create new work, receive professional development and network & collaborate.
- To continue working at removing barriers to access to our programming, for example, sliding scale ticket models, mixed programming, venue and community partnerships that provide expertise in the areas of accessibility.
Established in 1998, Guelph Dance was founded by Co-Artistic Directors Catrina von Radecki and Janet Johnson. With the firm belief that dance artists should be able to live and work outside major metropolitan areas, the two began to teach, choreograph, and perform in the City of Guelph. Today, we offer many different dance events and programs including the annual Guelph Dance Festival, March Break and Summer Arts Explosion Camps, Workshops in Schools and Local Initiatives.